Development & Human Rights • 28 Oct 2022
The EU's Global Gateway: A discussion about the new EU flagship project's risks and opportunitiesBack to overview
The EU Global Gateway was launched as the European Commission’s flagship strategy to invest in infrastructure across the globe. The Commission claims the Gateway will mobilise €300 billion to “connect Europe to the world”. Yet one year later, a new report by Eurodad and Counter Balance reveals how the Gateway prioritises commercial interests behind a facade of development aspirations, is shrouded in secrecy and lacks public scrutiny.
Join Eurodad and Counter Balance for a discussion in the European Parliament on these unresolved issues within the Global Gateway, and the opportunities which an effective strategy could create. The discussion will examine the key role which the Parliament will play scrutinising the Commission, to make sure that the Gateway delivers on the EU’s development objectives.
- Welcome and opening remarks by Erik Marquardt MEP, Greens–European Free Alliance, moderator
- Presentation of the report “The EU's Global Gateway: smart new strategy or the Emperor's new clothes?” by Farwa Sial, Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer - Development Finance at Eurodad
- Discussion with panellists:
Nicolas Stoetzel, Deputy Head of Unit in DG INTPA, European Commission
Miguel Urban Crespo MEP, The Left in the European Parliament – GUE/NGL
Shereen Talaat, Co-Executive Director at Arab Watch Coalition
Wester Van Gaal, EUobserver, discussant
- Q&A with online and in-person participants
- Closing remarks by Frank Vanaerschot, Director at Counter Balance
Register here to join the event via Zoom (online). Deadline for registration is 16 November 10:59am CET.
Registration to attend this event in person is now closed